Displaced to the right side of Santos’ attack in recent matches, Baptistão has been gaining prominence, being one of the main players in Peixe’s squad. He underscores the importance of Fabián Bustos for growth on the pitch.
– I think, first of all, we have to congratulate Santos and not just me. We have been evolving, we know that we have things to improve. My last speech was like this. We improve. I have to keep working, keep growing. Fabián Bustos always tells me not to settle for what I’ve been doing, to always look for more, so I’m happy to help Santos. Always Santos in first place – said the striker.
Léo Baptistão celebrates Santos’ goal against Cuiabá — Photo: Fernanda Luz/AGIF
In addition to individual growth, in the rout against Cuiabá, which took Santos to second place in the Brazilian Championship, Peixe’s shirt 92 became the team’s vice-top scorer alongside Vinícius Zanocelo, with two goals each in the competition.
On the other hand, playing almost like a winger, it’s not just the striker who wins. Coach Fabián Bustos has a new alternative to climb Ricardo Goulart alongside Marcos Leonardo and Léo Baptistão. Against Cuiabá it was the first time that the trio started a match together.
– Playing with them is very simple, they are two intelligent players. Marcos Leonardo, despite his age, knows how to move a lot, Goulart is very experienced. We managed to rotate a lot, Léo looking for a lot of space, Goulart in the middle looking for spaces between the lines and we found it. We managed to play a good game. We fit in well in the first half, we only had one detail that cost us the equalizer and, in the first division, it’s making a little mistake and no one forgives us. So, we have to continue in this line and keep improving, seeking perfection – completed Léo Baptistão.
At 2 min of the 1st half – goal from inside the area by Léo Baptistão do Santos against Cuiabá
Taking advantage of the good moment in the season, Santos has already changed the key and begins to think about Coritiba, Thursday’s opponent, at 21:30 pm (GMT), for the Copa do Brasil. Alvinegro Praiano needs to win by two goals difference to advance to the round of 16 of the competition. In the first leg of the third phase, Coxa won 1-0.
– I keep the speech I had the other times, we have to keep our feet on the ground. Coritiba is having a great season, a very complicated team to play and we will start preparing the game from tomorrow. Start thinking about the classification because Santos deserves it – concluded the striker.
“Santista likes to see this type of football”, comments Isabel | The Voice of the Crowd
The ge Santos podcast is available on the following platforms:
- 🎧 Globoplay – click here to listen!
- 🎧 Spotify – click here to listen!
- 🎧 Google Podcasts – click here to listen!
- 🎧 Apple Podcasts – click here to listen!
- 🎧 Pocket Casts – click here to listen!
- ▶️ Hit play!
+ Click here and learn all about Santos