São Paulo will have a sequence of six games in Greater São Paulo starting this Thursday, when they face Juventude, in Barueri, for the Copa do Brasil. A relief for the team that, in the last week, traveled for about 10,000km for games in the South American and Brazilian Championships.
Then there will be four more duels in Morumbi and one in Itaquera. The first of them is against Cuiabá, on Sunday, for the sixth round of the Brazilian. In the national tournament, the sequence includes the classic against Corinthians, in the rival arena, on the 22nd, and Ceará, at home, on the 28th.
São Paulo will also play two games for the Sudamericana, both at Morumbi: against Jorge Wilstermann, on the 19th, and against Ayacucho, on the 25th.
São Paulo will play four of their next six games at Morumbi — Photo: Marcos Ribolli
Rogério Ceni’s team faces a marathon this May, with nine matches – one every three days, on average. It started with a victory over Santos and draws against Everton, in Chile, and Fortaleza, in Ceará.
These last two clashes made São Paulo accumulate around 10,000km of travel between last Tuesday and Monday.
The delegation went to Santiago on Tuesday, where they trained on Wednesday before moving to Viña del Mar, on the Chilean coast, to face Everton on Thursday. He left the country on a chartered flight back to São Paulo shortly after the duel and, on Saturday, traveled to Fortaleza, with his return scheduled for this Monday.
Next Thursday, in the first match of this home series of games, São Paulo will need to beat Juventude to advance to the round of 16 of the Copa do Brasil. The match will be in Barueri, since Morumbi was rented for a show this week.
In Caxias do Sul, in the first game, the two teams drew 2-2. New equality takes the decision to penalties.
+ Read more news from São Paulo
For this game, Ceni should not have midfielder Andrés Colorado, who suffered a thigh injury against Fortaleza – which should make room for Pablo Maia to return to the team. Tiago Volpi and Nikão, recent absences, can return to training during the week. Gabriel Sara, who needed surgery to correct an ankle injury, has no deadline for return.
See the sequence of games in São Paulo:
- Thursday: Youth, in Barueri, for the Copa do Brasil
- Sunday: Cuiabá, in Morumbi, for the sixth round of the Brazilian Championship
- May 19: Jorge Wilstermann, at Morumbi, for the Copa Sudamericana
- May 22: Corinthians, at Neo Química Arena, for the seventh round of the Brazilian Championship
- May 25: Ayacucho, in Morumbi, for the Copa Sudamericana
- May 28: Ceará, in Morumbi, for the eighth round of the Brazilian Championship
The ge São Paulo podcast is available on the following platforms:
- 🎧 Globoplay – click here to listen!
- 🎧 Spotify – click here to listen!
- 🎧 Google Podcasts – click here to listen!
- 🎧 Apple Podcasts – click here to listen!
- 🎧 Pocket Casts – click here to listen!
- ▶️ Hit play!
+ Watch: all about the Sao Paulo on ge, on Globo and on sportv
— Photo: ge.globo