THE IPVAMotor Vehicle Ownership Tax, is the tax levied annually by the State government, where the amount collected is divided between the State, Municipality and Union to meet basic needs, such as education and health.
See also: Find out why the Auxílio Brasil payroll loan is not valid yet
However, there is a law that determines that some vehicle models are exempt from paying IPVA, which will depend on the date of manufacture in the state in which it is licensed.
Exemption age by state
Each Brazilian state has an estimated exemption date, check:
- 10 years – Rio Grande do Norte, Roraima and Goiás;
- 15 years – Bahia, Amazonas, Amapá, Federal District, Ceará, Rio de Janeiro, Espírito Santo, Maranhão, Paraíba, Pará, Piauí, Sergipe, Rondônia and Tocantins;
- 18 years old – Mato Grosso;
- Cars manufactured until December 31, 2000 – Alagoas;
- 20 years – São Paulo, Rio Grande do Sul, Paraná, Acre and Mato Grosso do Sul;
- Cars manufactured until 1985 – Santa Catarina;
- Progressive Reduction – Pernambuco and Minas Gerais.
List of cars exempt from payment
Now that we understand what criteria are used for the payment to be exempt, check out which are the main cars that will be out of payment according to their exemption age by state.
Exempt cars from 10 years of manufacture
In Rio Grande do Norte, Roraima and Goiás, some of the cars exempt from paying IPVA are:
- Audi A3 2010;
- Chevrolet Astra 2010;
- Citroen C3 2010;
- Citroen C4 Pallas 2012;
- Chevrolet Cobalt LTZ 2012.
Exempt cars from 15 years of manufacture
In the states of Bahia, Amazonas, Amapá, Distrito Federal, Ceará, Rio de Janeiro, Espírito Santo, Maranhão, Paraíba, Pará, Piauí, Sergipe, Rondônia and Tocantins, the cars that will not need to pay for IPVA are:
- Audi A3 2007;
- BMW Z4 2007;
- Fiat Brava 2007;
- Ford Ka 2007.
Exempt cars from 18 years of manufacture
In Mato Grosso, the cars that were exempt from paying IPVA are:
- VW Gol 2004;
- 2004 GM Corsa;
- GM Celta 2004;
- Fiat Siena 2004.
Exempt cars manufactured up to 2000
In Alagoas, the following cars are exempt from paying IPVA:
- Chevrolet Vectra Challenge;
- Chevrolet Montana Sport;
- Fiat Stilo Schumacher.
Exempt cars from 20 years of manufacture
After 20 years of manufacture, in the states of São Paulo, Rio Grande do Sul, Paraná, Acre and Mato Grosso do Sul, the following cars will be exempt from IPVA:
- Fiat Fiorino 2002;
- Fiat Uno 2002;
- Fiat Stilo Schumacher Season 2006;
- Jeep Wrangler 2002;
- Toyota Hilux 2002.
Cars made until 1985
In Santa Catarina the following cars manufactured until 1985 will be exempt from IPVA:
- Toyota Corolla SE-G 2003;
- Chevrolet Chevette 1985;
- Dodge Dart 1970;
- Volkswagen Beetle 1985;
- Willys Rural Pickup 1966.
Cars with progressive exemption
In the states of Minas Gerais and Pernambuco, the following cars will be exempt from paying IPVA:
- Ford Model A 1929;
- Volkswagen Beetle 1961;
- Volkswagen Passat 1979;
- Ford Belina 1973.
So, now that you already know about the exemption, stay tuned for your car and if, in fact, it will be necessary for the payment of IPVA 2023 to be carried out.