Woman almost dies after drinking pureed gourd juice in Canada

An unusual case, which can even be considered rare, happened recently in the Canada. A woman went into a state of shock after drinking gourd puree juice. According to what was reported by her, the drink “had an abnormally bitter taste”. This state of shock is considered a risk situation, as the flow sanguine drops dramatically. Organs can be injured due to lack of oxygen in the body, so the situation requires extreme attention.

Read more: Excellent anti-inflammatory drink: How to make pomegranate juice?

When she was already in the hospital, the woman even told the medical team that she had been in the habit of drinking this juice every morning for many years. The bitter taste reported by the patient is what explains her having developed “syndrome gives toxic pumpkin“, which is considered extremely rare.

The situation occurs when there is the ingestion of toxins that can be found especially in gourds and pumpkins.

Understand more about this episode.

Woman almost dies after drinking juice

The doctors involved in the case of the 64-year-old lady wrote in a report that, published earlier this year in the Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine, informs that, as far as is known, this is the first case of poisoning of this category in the country, although there are reported cases similar to this around the world.

Because of this ingestion, the woman had many symptoms such as vomiting, nausea, weakness, lower abdominal pain and diarrhea. All this after drinking two glasses of gourd puree juice, which is also known as opo. squash or lauki. The plant is part of the Cucurbitaceae family, which is composed of watermelons, pumpkins, cucumbers, zucchinis and others. All these foods are cucurbits.

It is common for cucurbits to produce toxins.

These substances are called cucurbitacins. If they are ingested in large quantities, they can cause toxic effects in people. This is what studies of the University from Nebraska-Lincoln. Although rare, some cucurbits can accumulate high concentrations of cucurbitacins as they mature.

There is no remedy for this type of case, so the woman – for five days – received supportive care in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). After this period, her symptoms disappeared, so she was discharged.

Before that, during her stay, she vomited blood several times. Blood pressure was uneven and the lady had to be given fluid in her veins.

“As visa in this case, O start of toxicity can be abrupt and deep”, pointed out the doctors in the report. “Providers emergency must be aware of this cause rare in shock mediated per toxin, to concentrate in resuscitation initial of patients critically unwell after one recent ingestion of material family vegetable Cucurbitacae🇧🇷🇧🇷

Source link

About Admin

Check Also

Black bear discovers camera in park and takes more than 400 selfies

Wildlife can be amazing. One more proof of this is the black bear that discovered, …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *