Six years ago, the acclaimed musical ‘La La Land: Singing Seasons’ was officially released in theaters worldwide.
In the plot, upon arriving in Los Angeles, jazz pianist Sebastian (Ryan Gosling) meets budding actress Mia (Emma Stone) and the two fall madly in love. In search of opportunities for their careers in the competitive city, young people try to make their love relationship work while chasing fame and success.
Directed and written by Damien Chazellethe feature film was a huge critical and commercial success, grossing more than US$447 million around the planet and winning six Oscar statuettes: Best Direction to Chazelle, Best actress for Stone, Best Original Song🇧🇷 Best Photography🇧🇷 Best Production Design and Best Original Soundtrack🇧🇷
To celebrate its sixth anniversary, celebrated today, december 9O CinePOP I brought you a list of some backstage trivia🇧🇷
- The audition scene, where the casting director interrupts Mia’s emotional performance to take a phone call, was actually inspired by one of Gosling’s real-life auditions.
- Emma Stone sang “Audition (The Fools Who Dream)” Live. She would decide when to switch from dialogue to singing. There was no pre-recorded track that she was lip-synching over. Justin Hurwitz, the song’s composer, was in another room playing the piano in her ear. Chazelle said this was done so Stone could have more control of the scene.
- ‘La La Land’ has taken home dozens of awards since its debut and broken countless records. One of them occurred at the Golden Globes in 2017, when the film took home no fewer than seven statuettes out of seven nominations, becoming the event’s greatest achievement and breaking the record for ‘A stranger in the nest’🇧🇷
- According to Hurwitz, the piano performances were first recorded by Randy Kerber during pre-production. Gosling then spent two hours a day and six days a week in instrumental lessons to learn the songs by heart. When filming began, Gosling was able to do the piano sequences without stunt hands or CGI.
- The line “this is Los Angeles. They worship everything and value nothing”, said by Sebastian, was added by Gosling himself to the script, after hearing it from his wife. Eva Mendes🇧🇷
- Only 30 dancers were used for the sequence. “Another Day of Sun”🇧🇷 Most of the people and cars seen in the background are CGI.
- Emma Watson turned down the role of Mia in the production due to scheduling conflicts with ‘Beauty and the Beast’while Gosling turned down the role of the beast of live action above to participate in ‘La La Land’🇧🇷
- Tom Hanks was so impressed with the film that, during a press conference for his film Sully, he told all reporters to go see the film whenever they could.
- john legenda singer and pianist, had to learn to play the guitar for his role.
- Mia’s canary yellow dress was originally used as a stand-in for dance rehearsals, but Stone liked it so much that she was allowed to wear it in the film.