Like the people dogs and pets age toosince this is the natural process of all living beings, They also suffer from diseases such as diabetes, stress, anxiety, hypertension, Alzheimer’s, among other things, as responsible for their maintenance, we must strengthen health care and maximize your wealth elderly pets.
yon Palace, from MSD Animal Health Mexicoexplained to readers Publisher, That the age of dogs and cats is not measured just like years of human life. According to the zootechnician, the old age of pets is mainly determined by three factors: breed, size and weight.
It may interest you: Are you a cat lover? This is the key to understanding your kitty’s behavior.
there are also some visible marks it will also help us determine what our the pet is in the senior stage.
“Dogs and cats between the ages of 6 and 11 are considered adults and there are also noticeable changes in their lifestyle, such as: loss of energy, poor appetite and weight loss. Also I know prolong sleep time during the day And the ability of your senses of taste, smell and vision is reduced. At the same time, they can also submit decreased organ function and neurological function, Among other things– explained the veterinarian.
Geriatric plan for our pets
- Internal deworming: this is the main preventive measure in the care of our dogs and cats, because in this way we prevent the spread of internal and external parasites such as fleas and ticks; They can cause serious health effects.
- Vaccination plan: Just like humans, vaccines for dogs and cats have succeeded in extending their lifespan and preventing diseases that can affect humans.
- Dental Care: This is an aspect that needs to be taken into account throughout our pet’s life, as when entering the elderly stage, some dogs and cats may suffer from periodontal disease, a disease that causes bad breath or bad breath in pets.
- Weight control: Having extra pounds, our pet can increase the risk of or suffer from diseases such as diabetes, degenerative bone and joint diseases, urinary stones, or even heart problems.
- Training: It is essential in the lives of all older dogs and cats as it helps maintain muscle tone and proper functioning of the vascular system. Relaxing walks in familiar places and swimming in calm waters are two alternatives to improve joint health and reduce anxiety and stress levels.
- Regular visits to the veterinarian: All older pets should visit their veterinarian at least twice a year so that possible chronic diseases such as diabetes, stress, anxiety, hypertension, Alzheimer’s disease can be detected and monitored or habits tracked that will allow older dogs and cats to have a better quality of life.