Urinary (or bladder) incontinence occurs when you cannot stop urine from flowing out of the urethra, which is the tube that carries urine out of the body from the bladder, but urine can leak from time to time. or it may not contain any amount of urine, said Armando Bayer, a urologist at Dr. José Joaquin Vallarino Z. in Juan Diaz.
You may be interested in: Satisfaction Surveys at JJ Vallarino Clinic
Leaks can occur when sneezing, laughing, exerting some effort or exercising, which is a hygienic and psychological problem, as it affects the patient’s daily activities and reduces the quality of life, Bayer explained.
Incontinence is not an independent disease, but is a consequence of the change in the filling phase of the bladder, which occurs with numerous pathologies, is more common in women, children and the elderly, affecting more than 15 percent of people over 65 who are not in specialized institutions. and 35 percent hospitalized, he stressed.
To combat this problem, medications, surgery, or palliative care can be administered to allow them to continue their daily activities and improve their quality of life.
Finally, the urologist said that there are some measures that can help delay the onset of urinary incontinence as well as prevent it, and advises to take into account:
* Follow a balanced diet.
* Reduce your consumption of beverages such as coffee, soft and carbonated drinks, alcohol and citrus fruits, among others.
* Avoid spicy food.
* Increase your fiber intake to avoid constipation.
* Reduce your intake of diuretic foods and medications.
* Do not drink four to two hours before bedtime.
* Do not push while urinating.
* Do not drink drinks before exercise.
Note: Melissa E. Archona.